Paradiso Canto XXXIII (Translation) {Dante Sees God}

Draft Copy

In Progress 


Paradiso XXXIII           

                                                            translation of Dante, 

                                                a collaboration with Robert M. Stein 

                        

Oh, Virgin Mother, daughter of your Son 

more humble and exalted than any creature 

as determined by the eternal one. 

            You, who human nature so ennobled 

that He who fashioned you 

 

did not disdain to make Himself human. 

            In your womb love was, the love

whose warmth quickens eternal peace 

which germinates and blooms its flower above.    

            To us you are the high noon torch 

of charity, and below, among mortals

You are the living waters of hope.

            Madonna, so great and full of valor are you 

That one who longs for grace yet fails to turn to 

You, his desire would be to fly but without wings.

            Your goodness not only gives succor

but most often, for those who ask,   

you grant it even before the petition is uttered. 

            In you there is mercy,in you compassion and pity are bound: 

and magnanimity and spendor fused. In you, 

rests and all bounty, all virtue that in any creature can be found. 

            This one, here, who from the most gaping hole

the universe contains, reaching to this high point,

has seen, one by one, the lives of the holy 

            souls; supplicant, he now asks that by virtue 

of your grace you might raise his eyes

that he might look toward the ultimate salvation. 

            And I who never more for the vision of my heart 

Yearned so much as I now burn for his —

all my prayers go out to you — I pray they do not fall short  

            that you release every darkening cloud you can of it,                                   

the pall that falls over his mortality, by the power of your prayers,

so that highest delight of full bliss might be displayed for his benefit.  

            Again, I ask, you O, Queen, whose powers of inspiration 

bring about what you desire, that in light of such a vision, 

he may preserve the wholeness of his adoration.

            Conquer his heart as you guard his mortal motions. 

See Beatrice with so many beatific hearts 

attending her, see her hand hands clasped in devotion.   

                                                                        

            Those eyes by God beloved and revered, 

fixed on him who prays, so demonstrating 

how to her all prayer is dear --    

            Then, into the Eternal Light she turned her

gaze into which it is not to be believed 

that any clear-eyed creature ought venture.                                    

            And as I approached the finite reach 

of all longing, as well it should 

so did the ardor of my desire outstretch.  

            Bernard signaled to me and smiled so 

as to look up, but I was already taken 

by my eyes, where he wanted me to go, 

            to look, my vision becoming more pure 

more genuine as more and more I found myself entering the ray 

of highest light which radiates so true and sure.   

            From that instant on my vision was greater than my power 

to speak, a faculty mighty vision causes to surrender; 

so too memory, in the face of such excess, falters,

            as with the dreamer who still sees even after he wakes 

the passionate impression that remains, 

though a dizzying imbalance takes  

            time for him to solve. Such am I, with vision almost ceasing

as the sweetness distills through me 

borne in my heart, sweetness ever increasing,     

            So like snow in sunlight as it dissolves, it is lost; so 

Lost, in wind like the very light 

leaves bearing sentences Sibyl’s oracles spoke.

            O highest light so elevated above any mere 

mortal conceiving, to my mind 

restore even a touch of what you appeared 

            to be and lend power to my tongue’s articulations

so that a scintilla your glory contains 

might be left for future generations;  

            that by turning somewhat to memory 

and intoning a little in these verses, 

the better conceived will be your victory. 

            I believe the sharp intensity I suffered  

as I beheld the ray of living light might have smitten

me fully had my eyes not turned from it.                        

            I remember how I dared to sustain 

it, until with my eyes I attained  

the perfect aspect of infinite goodness.                                                                                                     

            O abounding grace by which I presumed 

to fix vision on the Eternal Light 

By which my vision was nearly wholly consumed --

            In its profundity I saw it contained, bound 

by love in a unified volume 

the leaves of a unified volume the universe scattered around; 

            substance, accident and their behavior, 

elements joined together in such a way

that what I can tell of it is a pale glimmer of simple light.  

            I think I saw the universal form I failed to understand   

of this knot yet I believe and grasp and hold it because its grand 

power blossoms now as I tell of it and I feel my joy expand. 

            One sole point of this more loads me down with forgetfulness 

than that 25 centuries did in the case of Neptune 

since when by the shadow of the Argo 

            he found himself astounded. So my mind was confounded, 

suspended entranced in staring, fixed, immobile,

attending ever enchanted with beholding.  

            Who looks to that light becomes so rapt 

that turning away to another aspect 

is impossible to consent to, because the good that 

            is the object of the will 

is gathered therein and goes beyond 

its defects to become perfection which within is perfect. Still  

            my words will come up short, fall 

short of what I remember, as if spoken from the mouth

of an infant who still bathes his tongue at the breast.   

 

            It was no less a simple semblance, 

that Living Light I was taking in 

because always it is and was as it was before but the substance 

            and object of my vision was growing mighty; 

as I was looking. It was changing 

it was being transformed, and I too   

            was changing. In the clear profound 

substance of the highest light appeared three circles 

of three colors but all three bound  

            as one contained, and rainbow by rainbow 

each one seemed to reflect another, and the third was fire, 

spirits breathed forth equally by the other two, the same. So   

            frail, my words fall short, so deficient   

are they for the conception I cannot capture in words   

what I saw was so great in size it is insufficient

            to call my weak speech small. O Eternal Light which in you 

alone is seated your sole intention, intelligence only you 

contain, how it smiles, in love, on you! 

            That circulating conception 

which appeared as light reflected

as it registered somewhat in my perception, 

            which inside itself was, it seems, painted its own 

color our likeness, so that my looking was set 

entirely fixed upon it . 

            Like the geometer who for all his thinking, fixates 

on squaring the circle, but cannot retrieve 

the principle he truly needs 

            so was I at that novel sight,   

longing to see how the image with the circle 

fits and how it found its own ‘where’ in it, there --

            But I wasn’t wearing the proper plume: 

had my mind not been stunned by the jolt —

like a lightning bolt through which what I desired came.

            Here, imagination failed, but already my desire and will solved 

like a wheel that turns with ideal even motion as they revolved

 

in unison with Love that moves the sun and all its other stars.

 






2005, Revised 2020-2021

NYC

Comments

Popular Posts